Electrical socket security
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
merit_mark
Labourer
Labourer

Electrical socket security

by merit_mark » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:34 pm

Folks,

I'm looking to 'box in' a power socket holding a plug and segment timer to prevent tampering.

The comercially available items for this purpose are only large enough to cover a socket and plug without the timer as well. Of course, the box has to be lockable so it can be opened to reset the timer, for instance after a power cut.

Extreme high security not needed - just to make it tamper resistant but to allow the cord to be ripped out in an emergency. This is for an electric oil filled radiator in a lodger's bedroom - and I don't want to be heating the room all night!!

Any ideas please? - my thoughts so far include a small plastic ice cream tub with the lid cable-tied on, the lid (with a cut-out) being secured behind the socket facia by the facia screws. But would like to come up with something sturdier and a bit more professional looking :)

cheers
Mark

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:07 pm

The electronic timers do have battery backup so would not lose time in power cut. And Pneumatic Timers run for up to 20 mins may be more user friendly as what ever time he comes in he can have heat but 20 mins after falling to sleep or going out it will stop. And then no need to lock up. Screwfix do 10 amp model I think oil filled radiators under 10 amp?

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:40 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:01 am