electrical wires
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nectar
Labourer
Labourer

electrical wires

by nectar » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:49 pm

I have recently taken down my strip light in the kitchen I have two red wires which were all ready insulated.
I have earth yellow and green which I have now conected to the same and I have a blue wire conected to blue, I also have yellow and black which I am not to sure the light is working but I realise that the yellow is live my quetion is the black netrul ?

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:22 am

On the old wiring red was line and black neutral.
On new wiring brown is line and blue neutral.
Sometimes three core cable is used Red, Yellow, Blue (old) or Brown, Black, Gray (new) These have no standard on a single phase system and it is up to the electrician who wired it what colour is used. Also it is common to sleeve black or blue wires with red or brown sleeve and use them as return switch wires.
With this in mind it is not really possible to answer your question https://www.ericpalmer.fsnet.co.uk/Images5/LIGHTS.JPG may give you some idea as to standard wiring and also there are some good diagrams in the projects section.
Other wise only option is to call in an electrician.
Do remember alterations in kitchens are notifiable under Part P building regulations.
Eric

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:56 pm