Expansion Tank
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
frankservadei
Labourer
Labourer

Expansion Tank

by frankservadei » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:23 pm

I do not know if you can help me diagnose this problem.

We have a standard system. However the cold FEED tank is HOT. With the pump running a small amount of hot water is being pumped up into the base of the Feed Tank (in addition to any expansion from the expansion pipe).

Any thoughts? Our plumber has suggested changing the Hot water storage tank suspecting an "internal" leak between the water and the heating coil. But I am suspicious of this diagnosis- as surely the hot water would be discolored from the dirty circulating water from the boiler?

Any thoughts before I commit to more expense?

peter the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by peter the plumber » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:35 am

First let me say I am not going to second guess on a plumber who looks at it in person.

The water should always be clear on heating system, if its not there a problem.

If the water not clear that means there no inhibitor in the system and its rusting the inside of your heating system.

But when I think about it, it could be the pump.

If your heating pump is in the wrong place, it can cause this to happen.

I would get someone else out to look at it, before you pay for the work.

nekkon21
Labourer
Labourer

cold water attic tank heating up

by nekkon21 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:24 am

i've just had the same issue but found that when the immersion was on the timer was not kicking off and heating constantly , replaced the timer and was now ok power/timer wise , but later again found the thermostat on the immersion(hot water tank ) was stuck shut and so the water was boiling like a kettle , the only way for this excess steam was to head out the vent pipe to the coldwater tank in the attic , got to the stage where there was no cold water in any pipe in the house , had to drain a 400litre cold water tank of hot water only , dangerous in that we could have been scalded when having a shower . Worth a look but don't know if you have a immersion connected to your system .The odds are if you can shut off the heating coil to your tank and heat with an immersion to check ??

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1