Exposing interior brickwork
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
schep3
Labourer
Labourer

Exposing interior brickwork

by schep3 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:36 pm

I have just cut out a space in a dissused chimeny breast in my flat, i intend to use the space as a computer cupboard. i want to expose the brickwork on the outside of the cavity, the interior will have to be rendered as its in dire states.

Now to the point. The morter between the brick is basically just a yellow colour dust! what sort of morter should i use when re pointing and replacing bricks?

also wht shoud i use to seal up the exposed brick after i've repaired it all?

thank for your advice.

Chris.

ianr
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ianr » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:36 am

The colour of the "dust" will depend on what locally available sand was used at the the time of construction, assuming it is an older property look for a sand with a similar colour and use a 6:1:1 sand:lime:cement mix for pointing though you will get changes in the finish colour depending on proportions used so you may have to experiment. To seal the brick work Thomsons do a brick seal varnish but this will also change the colour of the brickwork, also remeber the chimley is a open tube, dust and debris will fall down it from time to time if you plan to leave your prized lap top in the chimley breast opening

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:46 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 5:59 am