Extending a Ring Main
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ElectricVirgin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Extending a Ring Main

Post by ElectricVirgin » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:43 pm

I want to extend my upstairs ring main, Is it ok to come of one of the sockets in my bedroom and extend a spur directly above into the loft then across until I am above the next bedroom socket and push the cable back down, wiring into that socket therefore extending the ringmain?

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:00 am

A ring main must as the name says form a ring figure of 8 is not allowed. Plus be sure it is a ring to start with. Can't understand what you intend. Maybe you can reword it. Most likely me 3am not my best time.

ElectricVirgin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Loft electrics

Post by ElectricVirgin » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:11 pm

Erikmark what I meant to explain was that I would like to connect a couple of double sockets up In my loft and maybe a couple of cieling lights to. I have been looking at the ring mains diagrams on the web and wondered if it would be possible to source the current from a socket in one of my bedrooms and if i can locate the next socket along on the ring main bring the loft power back to it after running the loft circuit.
I was also wondering if it would be a better idea to use a spare mcb on the consumer unit and start afresh from there, running a curcuit up into the loft and putting a small cunsumer unit up there?

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:27 am

Without being on site to advise as to best method is not really possible.
"to source the current from a socket in one of my bedrooms and if i can locate the next socket along on the ring main bring the loft power back to it after running the loft circuit."
Seems reasonable as long as the 100 sq meter rule is not broken and the volt drop is still within limits. As electricians we would measure the R1 and R2 reading and base our decision on those reading.
The new circuit is also reasonable idea and if it were relatively easy would be the more likely course. As to a new consumer unit in loft this would not be the normal way but is an option.
Since you are asking the questions I would consider you may be lacking both skills and tools to complete the task ensuring both compliance with regulations and safety of the system and I would recommend employing an electrician even if you labour for him to ensure you don't put yourself or your family in danger and that you don't invalidate your insurance as well as conforming with Part P.

juli-juan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by juli-juan » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:05 pm

[color=red][/color][color=red][/color][size=18][/size]an electrician should do all household electrical modifications to comply with part p

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:57 pm

juli-juan has brought up Part P but this is only valid in England and Wales. And with the exception of bathrooms and kitchens you are allowed to replace like for like and do some alterations as long as it is not a new circuit. The regulation give legal backing in domestic premises in the same way as the Electricity at work act gives legal backing in commercial premises to the regulations BS 7671 or IEE 16th or 17th edition. there is a link to down load the on line version on the projects area. I agree an electrician should do the work but it does not say he must do the work. Being skilled and competent are requirements to fill in the paper work but as yet no one has defined what is required to satisfy these requirements. Apprenticeship, and exams will help in showing this but no one has said an "O" level in physics is not enough although I am sure it is no where near good enough. And even the county councils who are normally building control for the area don't seem to know what is or is not allowed or even what needs to be notified.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:16 pm