Extension Wiring
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Graham24
Labourer
Labourer

Extension Wiring

Post by Graham24 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:43 pm

I have just ripped tiles off the walls in my bathroom which is part of an extension and I have found one single and one double ring main socket. I realise this isn't legal and I can only presume the previous owner was undecided on what do with the extension when it was built and had it wired regardless. Where do I recover these cables to/from? Can I bury them behind the plaster again?

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:12 am

Sorry it must be removed. The problem is if there is nothing to show where it is someone could easy drill into it. Difficult to say exactly how to remove without seeing the job but ring main must be maintained. Any sockets in a bathroom would need to be 3 meters from bath and RCD protected. If the cables feed something like a shaver socket then they can remain. As the socket shows where cables run.

Graham24
Labourer
Labourer

Extension Wiring

Post by Graham24 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:12 am

They are just recessed knockout boxes hidden beneath the plaster with live wiring, I have put blanking plates over them for now. They aren't used for anything and they definitely don't have an RCD as they are part of the extension ring main and go to the original consumer box in the house, (old style baker lite plug in fuse type). Unfortunately for me the floor is tiled so it's going to be a big job to remove the wiring.

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:08 am

If it is protected by something that could not be drilled i.e. a piece of conduit which is earthed then it could be left in.

Graham24
Labourer
Labourer

Extension Wiring

Post by Graham24 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:28 pm

That's makes my life a lot easier. Thanks for the help.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:40 pm