External cladding
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
RalphPorter
Labourer
Labourer

External cladding

by RalphPorter » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:24 pm

Hi,

I purchased some tongue and groove cladding from B&Q which I put up underneath a bay window, the job took a few a hours and I treated the wood on completion with Ronseal 5 year guaranteed wood stain (it had a further two coats over the next two days. A few months later the wood has shrunk considerably and I need to do the job again. I complained to B&Q who initially told me that the wood I'd purchased was not suitable for external use even thgough it says on the packaging that suitable treatment should by applied if using externally. I pointed this out and was then told that because I didn't treat it until it was in situation this was the reason for the shrinkage. I pointed out that I'd bought untreated sheds of similar construction which I treated myself after installation and hadn't had the same problem, I was told that wasn't possible as all sheds have to be treated before supply due to the sale of goods act. Does anyone have a proffesional opinion as to whether these two facts are accurate :

1) Should the wood (pine) have to be cut and treated internally before installation or is it a reasonable approach to install and treat in the same day?

2) Is it fact that you don't actually get an untreated shed even when that's what you think you're buying?

Thanks very much

Ralph.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:29 pm

RalphPorter,
Should the wood (pine) have to be cut and treated internally before installation, In an ideal world yes but the wood would still shrink over a period of months as it dries out. Next time use kiln dried cladding and keep it in the dry before using it.
Can't help with the shed question - depends on the supplier.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:53 am