external oil combi boiler
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
macw
Labourer
Labourer

external oil combi boiler

by macw » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:38 pm

I'm about to have a new oil boiler fitted and have been given the choice between internal and external. Because going external would free up some space my wife would prefer that option, however, having read of various cold weather problems suffered by combi boilers in general over the last few winters I'm looking for advice as to how the externals cope. In particular in v. cold weather does the anti frost stat permanently trip(using more fuel) and is there a greater problem with condensate freezing. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: external oil combi boiler

by plumbbob » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:54 am

There are plenty of installations around that work just fine, but placing a boiler outside a living area is always going be a bit of compromise.

If the boiler is in the back of a garage that has tight fitting doors you might not see a problem at all. If the location is a drafty coal house, you may find in severe weather, an oil heater is required to prevent the pipe work from freezing.

macw
Labourer
Labourer

Re: external oil combi boiler

by macw » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:58 pm

Thanks for the reply Plumbbob, but I got the impression by 'external' my plumber meant literally outside, which was why I asked about coping with the cold especially after the last couple of winters where, locally, we've had several days at a time when the temp hasn't risen above freezing.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1