Eye Watering Envirovent Condensation Quote and What Alternatives?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

ums86
Labourer
Labourer

Eye Watering Envirovent Condensation Quote and What Alternatives?

by ums86 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:27 pm

I purchased my flat last year and after some renovation and building a 2nd bedroom I put it on rent in November. Soon after tenants moved in we noticed a number of issues relating to condensation, damp and mould along with a significant amount of water gathering on the floor. I purchased a dehumidifier and this did help to some extent but the issue is still very much there and mould is starting to grow in parts of the flat including kitchen, bathroom, bedrooms and on rugs, pillows etc.

Envirovent - recently surveyed my flat and I was quite surprised when given a quote of £1600 to fix the issue. The report concluded that that the problems identified are moderate condensation issues due to the high humidity and moisture content within the air.

The report went on to detail: There are signs of condensation in the lounge, bathroom, hallway/landing, both bedrooms and signs of condensation on the windows. There was also mould growth on window frame/reveals, on external walls, behind furniture and on external walls. Mould growth was reported to be forming on clothing and shoes. Mould growth was moderate in the affected areas within the property.

I currently have just one small extractor fan in the bathroom (a cheap Manrose one no more than £20 from Selco which is ineffective) and no ventilation in the kitchen other than a kitchen hood filter (not an extractor fan). I also have a number of small vents throughout the property.

Proposed solution:
Envirovents proposed solution is to install their ‘tried and tested’ combination of Mr Venty ECO2 Wall Unit working in conjunction with their ‘heavy duty’ Cyclone7 extractor fan which they say will gently ventilate my property – all for an eye watering cost of £1600. The diagram below details where the fan and unit would be installed.

Alternatives?
I’m hoping to resolve the issue ASAP as It is not pleasant for the tenant and his family + health concerns but want to understand whether there are cheaper fans/setups available on the market which can do the same job. Otherwise I will have no choice but to go with Envirovent.

I have done some research and think I need a heat recovery ventilation/unit and a new, more powerful fan in the bathroom. I have found a couple of products which I think might help but would appreciate any advice or other recommendations.

I am thinking of going for the following:
http://www.i-sells.co.uk/kair-heat-reco ... ion#tabBox

or if i need more than 1:
http://www.i-sells.co.uk/kair-khrv15012 ... ion#tabBox

• Would this (1 or 2 units) be sufficient to ventilate the entire property and if so where should it be installed?
• Is installation straightforward? (i.e can a regular builder install)
• What fan should I purchase for my bathroom?

Would appreciate any guidance / advice as i am quite lost!

Many thanks
Attachments
layout.png

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:19 am