Fasteners popping in plaster ceiling
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mich
Labourer
Labourer

Fasteners popping in plaster ceiling

by Mich » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:33 am

We have a flat roof extension off our kitchen, that had to be replaced 5 years ago. The existing wood joists were fine and didn't need to be replaced. They were left to dry out before we had a new ceiling put in and plastered. The plastered ceiling is now about 4.5 years old. Just this past few weeks we have noticed a line of circular plugs of raised paint appearing across two sections of ceiling, they are the size of a 50p piece or a bit larger. We pressed one to flake off the paint and found the fastener (which looks to be a nail) has popped down and hence forced filler and ceiling downwards. We are not sure if this is natural settlement of the new roof/and plastered ceiling, there does not appear to be any signs of moisture, or water possibly getting into the new flat roof. I have tried to find information on how to fix this and it seems that knocking the nails back in and filling the plug is one way to deal with it. As there are quite a few we are concerned the ceiling is about to collapse?!. Would we be best to get a professional in (again)?. Thanks :shock: [color=blue][/color]

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:12 pm

hi Mich,
sounds like your ceiling has dropped the biggest reason is normally rain ingress.
The roof should be looked at if that is the case, i'm guessing by your remarks the ceiling was nailed up, I would always screw plasterboards up, more secure than nailing the weight of the board can force them out.
KB

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:13 pm