Feed from Cold Water tank has got an air trap
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
AshleyIanTaylor
Labourer
Labourer

Feed from Cold Water tank has got an air trap

by AshleyIanTaylor » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:18 pm

I recently drained down our cold water storage tank, however having refilled it there would appear to be an air trap in the pipe feeding the cold water outlets to the upstairs bath, shower and toilet cistern (the upstairs sink is mains fed).

I've tried releasing air from every bleed valve I can find (all of which were on the radiator system so didn't actually accomplish anything), but have been unable to find any bleed valves on the cold water feed pipe from the CW storage tank. At the moment no cold water comes out of the bath or shower and the upstairs toilet cistern fills up VERY slowly.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the water flowing again?

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:04 pm

hi
try getting a hose pipe connected to the cold tap in the kitchen get it to upstairs and attach to the cold tap on say the bath switch on try flushing the air back to the tank try the basin tap as well or you could try the reverse get the hosepipe and feed in to the outlet pipe of the tank open the taps and flush the water thru that way
bob

pb1
Apprentice
Apprentice

by pb1 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:13 pm

the best and quickest solution for you is to get a piece of garden hose ,insert a piece of copper with a nut and olive on it,isolate the water to the tank. connect the hose to the isolation valve put the other end of the hose into the outlets.open up the outlet at the tap and blast the mains water down the pipe. do this in 10 second intervals,this will clear any air lock you have.hope this helps

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:53 am

Could be a blockage tho from draining debris out of your tank, but blowing it back with hose might work.

Dave From Leeds
Ganger
Ganger

by Dave From Leeds » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:01 pm

It may be easier to follow bobplum's advice but use your upstairs sink cold tap since it is mains water fed.

AshleyIanTaylor
Labourer
Labourer

by AshleyIanTaylor » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:49 pm

Hi guys, really appreciate all the advice. In the end I opened the upstairs bath cold water tap the whole way - and the head of water in the CW storage tank seems to have forced the air block out! Thank you for the garden hose tip - I'll remember that for next time I empty it!

Thanks again - this forum is a great idea, and a real help!

God bless you all!

Ash

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:55 am