Felt Condensation Created by Solid Insulating Betwen Rafters
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Loftyconv15
Labourer
Labourer

Felt Condensation Created by Solid Insulating Betwen Rafters

by Loftyconv15 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:30 pm

Hi all..can anyone help a keen diyer who may have taken on too much! I have fitted solid insulation between my loft rafters and caused some localised condensation. I have breathable felt and on my first attempt left 25mm air gap which I had read to seems to be enough. I have now moved the insulation and fitted it onto battens unders my rafters to ensure good airflow but I still have localised condensation. The area where I have this has some bracing which fits adjacent between the rafters. It would have been there to fit around an old chimney. The chimney has gone but the bracing remains. Is this enough to reduce the air flow and create my localised condensation or is something else happening? Any advice on how to get around this as I really want to make the loft clean and usable as a hobby space. I am open to all suggestions. Many thanks.

thedoctor

Re: Felt Condensation Created by Solid Insulating Betwen Rafters

by thedoctor » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:11 pm

Quite possible that the chimney frame is stopping the airflow and causing this section to sweat. However,bearing in mind that condensation only occurs when warm (humid) air hits a cooler surface you might want to look an see why this particular area is cooler than the rest.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:52 pm