Filling Hole in ceiling
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
divingdaveo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Filling Hole in ceiling

by divingdaveo » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:56 pm

Hi There,

I am fitting new downlights in the ceiling.

They are of a smaller diameter then the previous ones, hence there is a gap.

How do I fill this gap?

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:45 pm

Flexible filler (decorators caulk) applied with an applicator gun more commonly called a mastic gun. Take a look at the project on filling gaps around the house, there are tubes of caulk there (you only have to buy one even though it shows 12) and a gun. Its easy to apply and wipe over to get a good finish which you can paint easily.

divingdaveo
Apprentice
Apprentice

filling hole in ceiling

by divingdaveo » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:53 pm

Hi again,

Will the flexible filler hold the new light in place?

Basically what I have done is cut out a piece of chipboard the size of the hole,with a hole in the middle for th downlight.

The chipboard needs to fix to the edge of the current hole in the ceiling which has a flakey and crumbly surface.

I have access to the hole from the loft, can the chipboard be attached to the rafter in the loft? Or should I just not be using a piece of chipboard to plug the hole?

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:58 pm

No the filler will not, and must not, hold the light. We thought you meant that the holes was slightly larger AFTER the light was fitted into it. The hole should be filled first (see our project filling holes in plasterboard) and when its all gone hard the new light should be cut into it as if it were a new ceiling. The new light must be fixed solidly in place.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:12 pm

MANY OF THE ANSWERS TO YOUR POSTS CAN BE FOUND, WITH DIAGRAMS, IN THE DIYDOCTOR PROJECTS SECTION. CLICK HERE www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:18 pm