Filling in a hole in our kitchen floor
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MrBear
Apprentice
Apprentice

Filling in a hole in our kitchen floor

Post by MrBear » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:23 pm

Hello.

I am renovating our house and one of the major tasks we have done is remove the load-bearing wall between the kitchen and dining room.

I had a builder come round and between the 2 of us we took the wall down and installed the RSJ no problem. This has of course left a kind of trench in the concrete between the two rooms that I need to fill in. In one place we had to chisel down further into the trench, cut through the DPC to expose the foundation purely to satisfy the building inspector.

1. The builder said that to fill the trench I just need to mix some cement with 3 x Sharp Sand and 1 x Cement Powder. I think he also said that I should mix it quite dry and brush some water onto the bottom of the trench to give it something to bond to. Does this all sound correct?

2. He also said that I need to lay some new DPC over the bit that we had to cut, he suggested cutting about a foot long piece and that this would suitably cover the place we had to cut through.

3. We want to tile right through the kitchen and dining room. Once I have filled the trench, am I going to have to wait a while before having it tiled?

Thanks very much. I don't doubt the advice that the builder gave me, it's just that it's been a few weeks since we took the wall down and I want to make sure I do things properly.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:38 am

Hi MrBear
your builder has given you sound advise.
good luck
regards
kb

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:39 pm