fireplace remodelling
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
fulwood
Labourer
Labourer

fireplace remodelling

by fulwood » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:14 pm

I've done loads around the house, but on reading another post, I'm now not so confident with my lump hammer. I'm I thinking this job won't be as easy as I thought? It's more the cheeks or columns either side I want to knock out but they seem to go all the way up (to first floor anyway). Want to put a stove in.
Attachments
diyfireplace.jpg
diyfireplace.jpg (38.69 KiB) Viewed 2271 times

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: fireplace remodelling

by welsh brickie » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:42 am

you will need acro props with strongboy plates to hold the breasting up then demolish the breasting to your desired height.
then rebuild the cheaks of the breasting to your own design,then for the flue I would form a reinforced concrete slab in situ on top of the new brickwork cheaks with a hole for the flue,then when its set reinstate the brickwork.Seek proffesional advice before starting the work though.

fulwood
Labourer
Labourer

by fulwood » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:51 pm

Thanks for that Weslhguy. I dunno if I was clear enough in post about what I want the end job to look like so done a pic here by putting what I want over original pic. I don't want to build a new fireplace as such, more wondering how to knock out what's in the hole already.
Attachments
fireforforum.jpg
fireplacehole.jpg

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:49 am

Hi. I understood what you wanted,to do the project you will have to demolish the flue,and the original brickwork to accomadate your new brickwork.
When its completed and you want to install a log burner a HETAS engineer will have to install it,Or pass it for you.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:38 am