Fit a Side-Hung uPVC Window so that it is Top-Hung?
Ask questions and find answers on a range of subjects relating to self build projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bill1949
Labourer
Labourer

Fit a Side-Hung uPVC Window so that it is Top-Hung?

by Bill1949 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:54 pm

Firstly I'm totally new to forums, so I hope I'm doing this correctly.

I have a slightly odd query here. I'm not finding the answer by 'Googling', and I feel it needs the attention of an expert.

I've just purchased a window from B&Q (Product Code 031610740, 970mm by 905mm).

This is sold as a 'Side hung' double-glazed uPVC window, also with one fixed pane, but I now feel that it might actually suit me better to mount it sideways so that it then actually functions as a 'Top-hung' window.

Is there any technical reason why this window should not be rotated 90º and fitted 'sideways', effectively to make it a 'top-opener' with a nice large top section which opens? In reality it's likely that the window would be opened only very rarely, if ever, and it's really there only to give light (it's to replace the wooden one that I made myself about 15 yrs ago, for the back-end of my garage - which isn't actually used as a garage any more).

Many thanks, in hopes someone can advise.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Fit a Side-Hung uPVC Window so that it is Top-Hung?

by welsh brickie » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:11 pm

its not designed for it, as the drainage holes are located in the wrong position, but as its going in the garage its not a major problem

Bill1949
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Fit a Side-Hung uPVC Window so that it is Top-Hung?

by Bill1949 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:13 am

Hi Mr Brickie sir.

Thanks for response.

Yeah. I was going to create drainage holes in what will become the top opener, in the frame recess where the top opener closes, and in the bottom of the frame where it will sit on the sill (ie - sort of replicating what already exists in the frame and the window for use as a left hung window, but to suit it as a top hung window).

Does that sound reasonable? (I've attached my own reference pic to show where I'd put drain holes.)

Thanks for your time.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:11 am