Fitting a blind into a window recess
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
steviej
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting a blind into a window recess

by steviej » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:08 pm

Hi,

I am trying to fit a venetian blind into a window recess. The problem I have is drilling holes into the top of the recess. The drill goes in about 1/2 inch then stops. It appears to hit a stell lintel.

Some solutions on here suggest fitting a wooden batten and fitting the blind to that. However, I'd rather not use that solution because teh blind has been made to size.

Can I drill the lintel and screw the blind to that?

What size hole and screw should I use (small hole with self-tapping screws or a big hole with a rawplug)?

TIA

geo32
Labourer
Labourer

by geo32 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:31 pm

if it's plaster or a plasterboard recess then u could use plasterboard fixings(spiral shaped metal fixings) mark ur hole positions then screw them in. ur only problem would be the length of the srews that come with the fixings, u may have to substitute these for a smaller length. i wouldnt try drilling into the steel lintel, just incase.. cheers

ali70
Labourer
Labourer

by ali70 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:16 pm

I am encountering a similar problem to this while trying (and failing) to hang venetian blinds in a bay window (new build, with dropped ceiling aligned with top of PVC window frame) - when drilling up into the plasterboard ceiling of the bay window, I am encountering PVC immediately above the plasterboard, with NO gap in between. This is about 3cm back from the edge of the window frame. I have no idea how to tell how far away from the window frame this struture extends before there is a cavity.

I have a bought a full assortment of plasterboard anchors, wall plugs, etc, but everything needs hollow space above the board. Is there any kind of fitting that I can use directly into the PVC?

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:54 pm

See our project on drilling into concrete or steel lintels. Also see our project on curtail poles.

boris4030
Labourer
Labourer

by boris4030 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:10 am

I also need some advice here.I am planning on doing a little redecorating of one of the bedrooms at my house. It's a very small room that has 2 small 60cm windows on the one wall with a 90cm gap between them of wall space. Both windows are recessed into the wall by about 15cms. I am really struggling to decide how to dress them.

Currently they are covered by 2 wooden Venetian blinds which are hung on the outside of the recess. However, I don't think they are giving the relaxed and luxurious look I wish to create. I thought about curtains but I don't think they would look right, 1 pair that draw across both windows would be simple and neat but would obscure a lot of wall space and basically take up 1 whole side of the room. 2 pairs would IMO appear daft as they will hardly draw.

Can anyone advise about what would be a good way to dress these windows?

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:25 pm