Fitting a ceiling light without a rose
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Grich
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting a ceiling light without a rose

by Grich » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:55 am

Hi

I'm new to electrics, and could do with some advice please. I'm replacing a living room ceiling light which has a rose built in, with a light shade that fixes directly to the ceiling as it is quite heavy. The new one is simply a fitting for the ceiling with 3 hooks on it, which chains for the light shade go on to. There is a hole in the centre of the fitting for a standard light pendant to go through. This new one doesn't have a rose nor is there space to put one onto the ceiling as the fitting goes straight on.

Is it possible to use a choc bloc pushed up into the ceiling cavity to connect the wires or a sealed connector block (one of those ones that is a choc block inside its own box that you can screw closed). If so, what sort of amp connector should I use?

The current light has the standard 3 wires connecting it (red, black and earth). If I use a choc box or connector box, what should I do with the earth?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Cheers

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Fitting a ceiling light without a rose

by BLAKEY1963 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:57 pm

[quote="Grich"]Hi

I'm new to electrics, and could do with some advice please. I'm replacing a living room ceiling light which has a rose built in, with a light shade that fixes directly to the ceiling as it is quite heavy. The new one is simply a fitting for the ceiling with 3 hooks on it, which chains for the light shade go on to. There is a hole in the centre of the fitting for a standard light pendant to go through. This new one doesn't have a rose nor is there space to put one onto the ceiling as the fitting goes straight on.

Is it possible to use a choc bloc pushed up into the ceiling cavity to connect the wires or a sealed connector block (one of those ones that is a choc block inside its own box that you can screw closed). If so, what sort of amp connector should I use?

The current light has the standard 3 wires connecting it (red, black and earth). If I use a choc box or connector box, what should I do with the earth?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Cheers[/quote]

GRICH
SEE DOC PROJECTS ON LIGHTING
BLAKEY1963

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:16 pm