Fitting a free range cooker into chimney space
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
oliveriles1
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting a free range cooker into chimney space

by oliveriles1 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:11 pm

Hi,

I have Belling Kensington 110G free range cooker that we would like to fit into a chimney space.

I would like the fumes from cooking to go into an extractor unit and then up a flue lining in the chimney breast, with the fumes leaving the house via the chimney pot on the roof (2 stories up).

The problem I am having is;

a) I can't find an extractor unit that we can recess into the chimney breast that will do the job- made worse because the chimney breast is only 38cm deep and I also need a large width extractor unit as the cooker is 110cm wide.

Can anyone suggest one that would work for me.

b) The next problem is condensation - I am assuming the extractor unit will have a flex lining attached to it which will run up to the top of the chimney. When the air gets to the top it will have cooled and there must be a risk of water running back down to the unit. Guess I need some sort of drip tray?

Thanks.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Fitting a free range cooker into chimney space

by plumbbob » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:42 pm

I fitted a cooker similar to this for a customer a while ago and after having similar problems finding an extractor, we decided to just use the natural draw from the chimney instead. It worked really well. All the steam and smell from the cooking is drawn up the chimney and has the added advantage of being totally silent.

To make the hole tidy we had a grille made the size of the opening and had it powder coated white. It looks really good. The only fault is it should have had some sort of baffle arrangement because when the wind blows hard, small particles of soot fall down the chimney and land on the cooker. Apart from that, it has worked well for the last couple of years.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1