Fitting a replacement ceiling light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
paul1968
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fitting a replacement ceiling light

by paul1968 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:21 pm

Hi, I'm sure this question has been asked before somewhere but i'm new to this and i've come across a problem....

I've followed the instructions on the site and have got as far as testing the wires to see which one is the circuit. However none register a current so i'm not sure if I am doing something wrong.

I've turned off the light, switched off the power and removed the fuse as directed. There are 3 wires coming from the ceiling each with Live, Nutural and Earth. None are marked, I have tested them several times and no current is registering.

Anyone have any idea's what I may be doing wrong - by the way the circuit tester is brand new so hopefully that is not the problem.

Thanks in advance

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:39 am

O.M.G!

paul1968
Apprentice
Apprentice

by paul1968 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:21 am

[quote="sparx"]O.M.G![/quote]

Is that for me as I have asked a stupid question and should put down the screw driver and back away from the electrics now :) or the situation.

Either way a bit more info please sparx. This is my first house and my first go at something like this. I don't want to blunder into things hence logging on to sites like these and asking for help.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:12 pm

paul1968
You'll have no current or voltage if the circuit is not powered up and you should not be working on a live installation anyway.
Why are you carrying this test out, what are you trying to do or prove?
KB

paul1968
Apprentice
Apprentice

by paul1968 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:22 pm

Thanks for your post Kbrownie, possibly explains Sparx reply!!

I was (i hope) following the instructions on the project page for changing a light fitting! I tried to copy and paste so you can see what it refers to but couldn't.

It says to check which is the wiring for the circuit and which is for the light and that it is a matter of trial and error in using a circuit tester to work which is which - it says to turn off the power to the light which I did. However from your comment either I have totally misunderstood or this is wrong!

Anyway as it stands I am leaving well alone and will get someone in with more knowledge than me to fix it. To be honest it's looking like the whole house could do with re-wiring!!

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:47 pm

Sorry Paul it was a reaction to not knowing how to answer,
I presume you have done the usual thing of disconnecting a light without noting the connections and are now faced with 3 reds/3blacks 3 earths and no idea how to connect.
If I had a £ for every time I have been asked the same ? over the last 45 years I would not still be working!!
when you say circuit tester I hope you don't mean a bl@@dy neon screw driver If so throw it away now before it kills you!!!
If you have any kind of continuity test meter with ohms scale, use a wander lead from your switch 'black' wire connected to meter and with avery disconnected find which of the 3 blacks at the light it is, then mark it and go to Forum's 'projects' section 'wiring a light' it will show you how in technicolour, regards SPARX

paul1968
Apprentice
Apprentice

by paul1968 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:13 pm

Hi Sparx. Bingo! Yes I made what appears to be the classic error and did not note the wiring.

However, possibly in my defence, the light that was fitted had 3 spot lights and each cable went to one of the lights and none were marked as being from the circuit. I am trying to replace it with a single light bulb and the configuration is totally different.

The circuit tester I used was (I hope) a proper one, shows Ohms, AC and DC etc and not the neon screwdrive - reading my post back it is obvious why you thought that, I didn't mention I was using a proper tester. It seems from your description I may not have been using it properly.

I was following the forum's projects but I guess I didn't explaim myself properly hence your perfectly understandable response to what appeared to be a half wit trying to either blow himself or his house up!!

Thanks for your answer, it's certainly helped but I must admit that I may be better off to get an expert in to do it properly.
Paul

paul1968
Apprentice
Apprentice

by paul1968 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:01 am

Hi Spark, imeediate problem solved as in I have indentified and marked the correct wiring. I did have a problem with it to start with but I sorted that by putting a new battery in the tester (which in itself was brand new!!).

Anyway I have wired up the fitting as per the project and the light comes on, however only when the landing light comes on. Also the fuse for the lighting has tripped in the main circuit board.

The landing and bedroom light comes on still which as they should be on the same circiut concerns me somewhat as I would have thought none would come on if they are all on the same circuit!

I have a feeling the house has the original wiring in (it's about 40years) and there seems to have been some bodged jobs in the past. I would think my best bit is to get the electrics checked by a pro and probably the house re-wired!

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:50 pm

Hi again Paul, glad your making progress, it seems you may have a wire not connecting properly, would suggest getting local leckie to sort it, can't cost much and while he's doing it chat him up about state of wiring in general.
If you get someone recommended he should give an honest opinion as to what needs doing, he will of course be keen to bring everything up to date, but a full rewire may not be needed, maybe earthing to services and a consumer unit change.
PVC cable if not overloaded has an almost infinite life, socket outlets do suffer from age but even changing them is still less than rewire and a lot less messy!
regards Sparx

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:58 pm