Fitting an outside tap
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Fullback
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting an outside tap

by Fullback » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:05 pm

I was wondering if any one can help me. I'm fairly sure this is quite a simple exercise IF you know what you are doing! I have my washing machine in the garage and would like to put a tap close to it (basically because I am fed up having to run the hose all the way round the side of the house to wash cars!), but I have no idea how to start. Firstly, is it simple and secondly what would I need?
Many thanks

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:50 pm

It is fairly simple, you can buy a DIY garden tap kit, which it the tap and wingback elbow. A length of hose and a self tapping isolation valve. Instructions included.

These are ok for ease of installation, but where the valve punches a hole in the pipe - it leaves a ragged edge, this is where limescale and debri will build up (over years). The flow rate wont be great as it is only a small hole it punches.

or

You will need:
garden tap
wingback elbow,
non return valve (some taps have these built in)
isolation/ballofix valve,
PTFE tape
15mm tee,
15mm pipe,
2x 15mm elbow.
A cutting of overflow pipe/22mm plastic pipe to use as a sleeve to protect the copper pipe.

Pipework setup will be as follows:
tee - isolation - non return valve - elbow - sleeved pipe through wall -elbow -wingback elbow and tap.

Wrap 3 or 4 turns of PTFE tape around the male part of the tap, (in the direction of the threads) and screw into the wingback elbow.

Keep the pipework outside to a minimum, to prevent freezing. Also turn isolation valve off during winter and leave the tap open.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:12 pm

See our projects section. Installing an outside tap, copper compression joints and plumbing in a dishwasher and washing machine. All the answers are in there and you can buy everything you need quite cheaply with next day delivery.

Fullback
Labourer
Labourer

by Fullback » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:55 pm

Cheers htg, that's my Easter holidays sorted out!!!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:13 am