Fitting and sealing new shower tray!?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Paulo83
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fitting and sealing new shower tray!?

by Paulo83 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:29 pm

About to start fitting my new shower-room. Need some advice on fitting stone resin tray, i know to cement it to the floor but its the whole sealing thing im worried about. Is there stuff called bichotheen or something to put under and around the tray before i tile?? I done trust a simple beading of silicone. So whats best way to do a good job??

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:59 pm

are you tiling the walls and floor?
if so fit tray,silicone between tray and wall,get it right down,also helps stop any movement between wall and tray,before tiling walls tank the walls you buy this stuff from tile shops ,apply to walls prior to tiling ,stops any water getting into the plaster
use quality adhesive and micro ban grout,stays white longer in wet areas,lots of grout between tiles and tray smoothe off and use quality silicone,again micro ban you shouldnt have a problem
bob
ps silicone is very good stuff for adhereing baths,hand basins etc to walls belive me they wont move

Paulo83
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Paulo83 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:44 pm

Cheers bud, you mentioned 'tank the walls'. Whats this stuff called exactly. I was going to tile but im now considering the bathroom boards you can get. Possibly using just boards you get from jewsons etc for the shower enclosure and tiling the rest of the bathroom. Or would that look rubbish???

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:33 pm

tanking is a resin based application you put it on the walls and in the corners you apply a form off tape which when coverd with the resin goes hard bit like fibreglass so that if water penetrates thru the grout the water will not destroy the plaster board behind
any decent tiling shop will sell it
as for the plastic i prefer tiles but thats a individual thing
good luck
bob

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 8:10 pm