Fitting aquarium into existing shelving
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
diydad
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting aquarium into existing shelving

by diydad » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:04 pm

I would like to put my fish tank onto the shelving at the top of my stairs. The shelving is built into an alcove between the bathroom and the landing. The shelves measure 875mm x 385mm and the wall behind the shelving is hollow. The shelves are simply sitting on three pieces of batten which would appear to be glued to the rear and side walls with something like no-nails? There are four shelves, the top one would be the access shelf above the tank, the next one housing the aquarium, then next one housing all the accessories with doors fitted to the front and the bottom one will probably have doors fitted and end up being storage for the kids toys.

Can anyone tell me how i can strengthen the shelves to support the tank?

As i am going to use the shelving below the tank for storage how about supporting the shelf from underneath as any supports would be hidden?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:53 pm

diydad,
You must fit three vertical support timbers one each end and one in the middle going from under the aquarium shelf down onto the floor.
Make sure the floor is strong enough to support the weight.
end

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:05 pm

Water weighs in at 1 kilo per litre, without knowing the size of the tank, how much it weighs empty and how much water you will put in, the weight of the sand and rocks etc this is impossible to answer.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:56 pm