Fitting flexible pipes to radiator valves
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
alanjacobs
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fitting flexible pipes to radiator valves

by alanjacobs » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:33 pm

Hi,
Is it possible to get a flexible pipe that will fit a radiator valve? I can only find a 1/2" tap connector one, but am not sure if that is suitable as there is no olive. Is the only other solution to fit a radiator tail valve to the rad valve and then use a standard 15mm compression flexible pipe fitting? Reason I'm trying to avoid the tail is because I have limited room between the valve and the wall.

Background: I have a designer bathroom radiator cum towel rail. I was going to fit an angled TRV4 to it ( inverted, is that ok? ) and connect it with steel braided hose. ( I prefer the look and makes connecting much easier for me. )

Cheers
Alan

corkee
Apprentice
Apprentice

by corkee » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:11 pm

As far as I know, you shouldn't use braided flexibles on any part of a central heating circuit.

They're not up to the job as they're really only for occasional heating duty, eg Hot water taps supplies as fitted to monobloc mixers.

The inhibitors in central heating systems may also have a detrimental effect on the rubber hose contained within the braiding.

Wouldn't risk it myself - but not sure what to suggest to solve your problem.
Col

alanjacobs
Apprentice
Apprentice

by alanjacobs » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:57 am

Thanks for the reply. Looks like that idea is out the window then.

So onwards to plan B.

Is it ok to use that flexible copper tube, not the braided type but the short corrugated pure copper lengths, in a radiator system? Is it reliable? I've had conflicting reports from people in the plumbing shop. Some dismiss it as a bodge, others say its fine.

This would at least allow me to position the stop valves and then run chrome pipe from there. ( I have very limited space under floor - so need to avoid joints if possible )

Cheers
Alan

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

by The Heating Doctor » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:42 am

Under no circumstances should you connect a radiator with flex hoses, they are not designed for this application, if you need a simple fit buy push fit radiator valve tails (chrome elbows) for your TRV4. They should be easily available from a plumbers merchants all you need to tell them is if you have 10mm or 15mm pipework.

alanjacobs
Apprentice
Apprentice

by alanjacobs » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:05 pm

Thanks. But why exactly should they not be used? I've seen them recommended for connecting bath taps, so I assume they should be capable of withstanding the pressure. ( Much lower than tap supply at 1bar approx ). What are they designed for?

Also they are copper and not rubber so shouldn't be at risk from the radiator inhibitor stuff.

My problem is no longer the actual connection to the radiator itself but how to get the supply pipes to come up out of the floor in the correct place. I have very limited access under floor due to other pipes, joists, noggins and the wall. It looks like I'd need 4 elbows close together to achieve the pipe run needed to exit the floor in the right place. I'm not sure that I can easily solder that in situ. My pipe bending skills don't extend to a 3d S shape, with twist. ( Its all 15mm )

Hence the desire for the flexible pipes. Originally braided ones as I thought the long versions would cope with the underfloor bends as well as looking good on the final connection to the radiator. The copper ones would give me the under floor bends leaving a straight connection to chrome pipe for the final radiator connection.

Now seems that I am at a bit of a loss. Maybe I'll have to bring the pipes up elsewhere and run them along the skirting. An ugly solution.

Cheers
Alan

tarmo6
Labourer
Labourer

by tarmo6 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:36 am

if you have limited underfloor access then use two push fit reducers and come through floor boards in 10mm.this would harldy affect performance and would be easier to work with than even the flexible copper you mentioned.you would also need two reducer sets to go in the valves.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1