fitting radiator to plasterboard
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
grayzer1
Labourer
Labourer

fitting radiator to plasterboard

by grayzer1 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:47 am

Hi. Im trying to fit a double radiator (600x1100) onto a plasterboard wall.The problem i have is that the plasterboard is fixed to the wall by thin wooden beams so there is around an inch gap between the board and the brick. Would it be best to drill straight through into the brick wall and use big screws and plugs(i was going to do it this way but am worried about the gap between brick and board and the weight of the rad) or can you get some kind of fasteners that will fit behind the plaster board? Thanks for any advice.

midknight
Apprentice
Apprentice

by midknight » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:36 pm

Maybe my answer is a bit late or you - however my wife and myself fitted pigsear/wallfix handrails to a simiiar wall.

We purchased a strong broom handle!

We marked the plasterboard where the fixing screws had to be positioned.

Next we used a hole cutter - say 28mm to cut a neat hole in the plasterboard and mark the centre of the concrete wall behind.

Then we measured the distance from the concrete wall to the room side of the plasterboard.

Next we cut a section of broom handle to the same length, and drilled a hole through the centre large enough to take a size 12 woodscrew.

A masonary drill was used to provide the hole for a good quality rawlplug.

As you no doubt have worked out - the broom handle spacer was inserted in the hole and a good fixing was made.

This worked for us as the spacer was only about 30mm. However a wider hole could have been cut and a wider spacer used for greater distances

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:55 pm

Fix the radiator brackets with some of these:

http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=12 ... /Thrubolts

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:57 pm

^^^ drill the holes slightly too small (diameter) but nice and deep and hammer them in to the brick behind.

midknight
Apprentice
Apprentice

by midknight » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:26 pm

Could thr bolts pull a small item through the plasterboard or is there a sleeve one could use to prevent this?

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1