Fitting second electric shower
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
McA Carpentry
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting second electric shower

Post by McA Carpentry » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:48 pm

I already have an electric shower fitted rated at 8.5 Kw, My main concern and question is about the load on the rcb and the current being drawn if the two showers were in operation at the same time. Can this be achieved or are you limited to using one shower at a time if on the same breaker in the fuse board.Advice welcomed
Many thanks

pdenni
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by pdenni » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:52 pm

hia

just to clarify are you putting 2 8,5kw showers on the same mcb?

if you did that the combined load would be clse to 74 amps so that is a big no no,
you can put them on seperate breakers but you have to consider the total load in the rest of the property, as if you only had a 60amp main head fuse and then put both showers on you would have problem.
Assuming you have a 100amp main head fuse then you have amps to play with so to speak but you wouldnt want to be putting the fuse to its limits, also showers should be on an rcd and they normally are rated to 60amps thus creating a problem straight away with both showers on.
Probably better to use the showers individually on differnt correctly rated breakers, 37amps with 8.5kw use 40amp breaker

McA Carpentry
Labourer
Labourer

Post by McA Carpentry » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:58 pm

Thanks pdenni

well I already have a 8.5kw shower in on a 40 amp double pole rcbo. so if i install a second rcbo for my new shower, rated as 8.5 kw , should this cover my load on the main head fuse in oder to run the two showers at the same time.
thanks for your help so far..

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:15 am