Fitting table-top dishwasher under the sink!!
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mobwort
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting table-top dishwasher under the sink!!

by mobwort » Fri May 09, 2008 11:19 am

Hi there, I'm Rod in Cornwall and never done any plumbing whatsoever before. Just bought a work-top Zanussi dishwasher. As I intended, the only place I can fit it in our small kitchen is actually under the sink. And this is where the fun begins. The cold water inlet has the type of connector you find on a washing machine inlet. Somehow I've got to connect this to the cold water pipe/feed (which is a copper pipe with a meshed-type flexible metal pipe connected on top of it which leads up to the cold tap on the sink.
Then the outlet hose is a simple rubber tube which presumably I need to attach to the white plastic under-sink drainage thing. I notice (on the white sink drainage unit) that there is a spare hole sticking up with a plastic screw fitting (oddly with a hole in it) - can I somehow attach it to that?
Eternally grateful for any tips or advice here as I don't really want to flood the house, specially as our kitchen is on the first floor! At the moment don't know where to begin. Thanks, Rod

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Fri May 09, 2008 6:03 pm

You need to pop down to your local DIY store and buy a washing machine tap. They do a version that clamps to a 1/2 inch (15mm) copper pipe and automatically connects to the cold feed without any plumbing tools or expertise. You don't even need to turn the water off!! This valve has a 3/4 inch thread that will accept the dishwasher hose. It must be connected to a cold copper pipe not the braided hose.

It seems by your description that the waste trap under the sink already has a connection for the waste water. The dishwasher hose should just be a push fit onto over the fitting you describe.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat May 10, 2008 11:16 am

"They do a version that clamps to a 1/2 inch (15mm) copper pipe and automatically connects to the cold feed without any plumbing tools or expertise. You don't even need to turn the water off!!"

But where does the small circle of copper that it cuts out go to? Hate the things personally.

"It must be connected to a cold copper pipe not the braided hose."

Absolutely and upstream of the flexi.

"It seems by your description that the waste trap under the sink already has a connection for the waste water. The dishwasher hose should just be a push fit onto over the fitting you describe."

and fit a jubilee clip as well.

Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:57 pm