fitting wall lights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gibbo64
Labourer
Labourer

fitting wall lights

by gibbo64 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:31 pm

Hi i have just been asked by the mother in law to decorate for her and wanted to put some wall lights up on the wires that have been hiding behind a picture for a while, these wires are live and do not have a earth!!! Please could anybody help me with any ways of how to fit wall light to this, do i need a switched light? An older type of light fitting or do i not use these at all??? The 2 wires are colored blue and red if this helps
As you can probably tell i am not used to working with electrics so any help would be great.. cheers mark

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: fitting wall lights

by ericmark » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:00 am

The only lamps you can use are the double insulated type they have a square within a square to show they are double insulated. I had some problems locating lamps approved for this type of connection and in the end got a 2D florescent lamp from internet advertised as double insulated.

The fittings will likely have no exposed metal parts and one should have a sticker on the consumer unit warning about lighting with no earths.

As to switching this may also be a problem no metal switches of course. For lighting one would expect it to be feed from a 5/6A supply but the wire colours seem odd as with red one expects black to be other wire and blue was not used at the time when it was permitted to feed lights without an earth.

As a result I would be wary of this and would want to investigate as to how those colours were used.

The electrical safety council have issued some advice as to non earthed lights no links allowed on this site but if I was doing the work I would be looking at if any up-grade was possible.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:33 pm