fixing bath taps to stud walls
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Alanandkate
Labourer
Labourer

fixing bath taps to stud walls

by Alanandkate » Mon May 07, 2007 3:32 pm

We are installing a new bathroom. Have chosen mixer taps that fit to wall rather than to bath. As wall is only stud work it will need some reinforcement in case someone grabs the taps when getting out of the bath. From the back of the face plate to the end of the threaded water connection inside the wall is only 20mm. This has to accommodate the thickness of the wall tiles, the stud wall and the nut of the water connection??? 20mm is not long enough for this. Is there a secret way of doing it?

Arnak
Tradesman
Tradesman

Fixing a mixer.

by Arnak » Sat May 12, 2007 1:04 pm

Hi,

This suggestion is a bit of a bodge but the only way that I can think of fixing the mixer.

Measure the distance between the retaining nut and the water connection fitting when it is screwed right on.

If there is sufficient thread left to fit a steel plate and the tiles then what you need to do is this :-

Cut a slot in the plaster board from one wall sud to another, get a 6mm thick steel plate and drill holes for the mixer connections to fit through.

Screw the steel plate onto the studs at each end.

This is always assuming that the studs are in a position to fit the taps.

With my usual luck I find the studs are bang in the middle where the taps have to go through.

That should bring the plate up to almost the level of the surrounding plaster board. Plaster over the steel after sealing it from rust with some paint.

Fit the tiles with holes in to correspond with the taps.

Fit the taps.

This method assumes that you can get at the other side of the stud wall to fit the mixer retainers and the water pipe connections.

The only other option that I can think off is to get a mixer with longer tails.

Hope that helps.

Arnak

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:08 pm