Fixing Cast Iron fireplace to plasterboard wall
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cheet22
Labourer
Labourer

Fixing Cast Iron fireplace to plasterboard wall

by cheet22 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:00 pm

I have a new cast iron combination fireplace (whole insert, surround etc in one piece) that I intend to fit into our house.

The chimney opening is more than big enough so I will need to backfill the opening behind the new fireback.

The stone walls are all uneven so I am battening out the walls and drylining.

My question is, should I build my wall and just leave the right size opening at the fireplace, then fasten the fireplace to the plasterboard walls at the sides?

Or can I only fasten the cast iron fireplace to a brick wall due to heat? Surely the mantel and side posts dont get super hot like the rest of it? So I am thinking I'm ok?

This is for a solid fuel fire.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:11 pm

cheet22,
I don't quite get what you are trying to do,
But I will throw in a few words of advise, I may be barking up the wrong tree as like I said I don't quite get it!
Solid fuel fires get much hotter and throw out a lot more heat than your average gas/electric fire. If it was a stove they are rated.
You will have lots of things to consider, I.E. batterning out walls and plasterboarding! This could be a potential fire hazard if the right materials are not used. I'd be thinking more about rendering any uneven walls around these types of fires. The chimney will most probally need a stainless steel flue liner too.
Regards
KB

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:56 pm