FIXING INTO PLASTERBOARD
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MUFFIN
Labourer
Labourer

FIXING INTO PLASTERBOARD

by MUFFIN » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:13 am

HI,I NEED SOME HELP, IAM FIXING A BRACKET FOR MY SON'S NEW BOXING PUNCH-BAG. THE TROUBLE IS IAM SCREWING INTO THE CEILING.IAM A NOVICE WHEN IT COMES TO DIY, ANY IDEAS. THE CEILING IS PLASTERBOARD???????????????????????

Joiner_Mike
Ganger
Ganger

Fixing your bunch bag

by Joiner_Mike » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:20 pm

Hi
If your fixing a punch bag you will need a good fixing. So you are best fixing straight into the ceiling joists.
You can buy stud detectors which will locate where the joists are but i find these unreliable.
The best way to locate your joists is to either go into the attci and look under the insulation (wear some gloves....can make you itch like mad), you should be able to see the top of the bedroom wall. you will be able to measure from the inner wall side to the centre of the joist where you want to fix the bag to. Then you can measure in the bedroom itself acoss the ceiling the same distance from the inner wall.
If you can't get access to the attic i normally tap the ceiling gently with a hammer....you will hear a differnt sound when you tap where the joists are (A denser sound). Hammer a very small nail in the ceiling to see if u have located the joist correctly. You should have to pull the nail back out with a hammer. This way if you have incorrectly located the joist you will only have a pin hole to fill.
Once you have located the centre of the joist you can screw in your bracket. Hope this helps :D

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:28 pm