All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rookie6
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fixing it is one thing, getting to it is another

by rookie6 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:49 pm

Hi
My 2-year-old top push buttton toilet cistern has decided to stop filling. Now, before I can even assess the problem I have to be able to look inside it, however I just can't get the lid off, I've tried lifting and attempting to prise up the button seating but apart from being able to twist the lid slightly from side to side I just can't get it off and am reluctant to heave too hard although that may be the answer. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:21 am

See our project on push button cisterns and you will see how the button is fixed. You should be able to twist the button surround either from the top or by sliding your hand in between lid and cistern.

rookie6
Apprentice
Apprentice

If only ...

by rookie6 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:56 pm

Hi again,
Have tried to gain access but it proves beyond me. The nice slippery chrome button and surround will turn marginally about a quarter turn and back, it will push slightly forward and back suggesting the hole is slightly larger than the button seating. What it will not do is release its hold seemingly securing the cistern lid. There is little or no 'lifting' movement to the lid it just slides/twists slightly. I have checked again the 'push-button' instructions but there is no instruction on how to get it released from the top of the cistern. The make says 'bellavista'. I would be grateful for any further help. Thanks.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:54 am

Contact Bellavista at info@bellavista.com there are also some phone numbers on their website. They are not an English Company so also contact the supplier.

rookie6
Apprentice
Apprentice

One problem solved–now the real one starts

by rookie6 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:17 pm

Hi again,
Thanks for your suggestion. I did contact Bellavista and they were very helpful suggesting I turn the push-button to the left. With the aid of a pair of grippers I was able to release it, once I knew what to do it was relatively easy, limescale permitting. Having had some experience of the various workings of toilet cisterns over the years I wasn't really prepared for this 'alien technology' system so now I'm trying to sort the real problem out.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:06 am