Fixing Shelves to Plasterboard Walls
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gearyt
Labourer
Labourer

Fixing Shelves to Plasterboard Walls

Post by gearyt » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:22 am

I have tried fixing floating shelves to my plasterboard walls using redidrive plasterboard fixings. There are 10 holes for screws on the shelve brackets. As I was using redidrive fixings the screw holes on the bracket were to close so I could only use 5 of the holes. Unfortunately these did not hold the shelves with books on them. I now have a number of holes in the wall that I have filled with polyfilla.

I have two questions;
1. As the redidrive plasterboard fixings were not strong enough should I be using hollow wall anchors. The shelves can take up to 15kg.
2. Can I re-use the holes now that I have put polyfilla in them or is it better to re-locate the holes?

Thanks for your help.

Joiner_Mike
Ganger
Ganger

Fixing your shelf

Post by Joiner_Mike » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:54 pm

Hi
You say you wall is plasterboard. Is it what is called dot and dab where plasterboard is stuck to a brick wall or is it a timber wall?
You are probably best now screwing into new holes. If it is a rick wall behind just get a longer drill bit and screws and plug and screw directly into the brick.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:09 pm