Flat Roof
Information, help and advice on maintaining, installing and repairing a flat roof. Post your questions and view answers here

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
fRANKIEBABY
Labourer
Labourer

Flat Roof

by fRANKIEBABY » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:04 am

Hi,

I have a troublesome asphalt flat roof always needing maintenance because of leaks and, unfortunately, because I am out of work due to arthritis I am unable to afford the £2500 quote for renewal. I have purchased 10 tins of "Aquaseal" water-proofer in the hope of solving the problem. My son, who is pretty handy, has brushed the chippings off the roof in preparation for painting but a large amount of chippings are still left adhered to the surface which makes a very rough surface to paint. No matter how much sweeping we do there is always more chippings coming loose. Is it okay to cover the roof with the Aquaseal because I fear that when the product is applied by brush it will disturb even more chippings making the job difficult?

Sorry, another question. If the above method fails is it okay to fix tapered joists (to aid with water run-off) on to the existing roof, cover them with roofing felt and battens and then tile over. I have a large quantity of new roofing tiles left over from a previous job? What do you think?

I apologise for the lengthy enquiry. Good luck and thanks.

Regards, Adrian

sadmuppet
Labourer
Labourer

EPDM roof repair

by sadmuppet » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:01 pm

If the structure is ok, have a look at putting an EPDM membrane over the whole roof. First lay a roofing underlay on top of what you have, then the membrane, then some rounded shingle. Should last 40 years.

Take a look at the Flat Roofing section in the DIY Doctor suppliers section there are great companies in there who will supply you.

a-real-roofer
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Flat Roof

by a-real-roofer » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:42 pm

[hi,

regarding the chippings, the easyest thing to do is to knock them off with a shovel. just chip them away but be careful not to make any holes in the existing felt. its hard work and best done on a cold day. (when chipping them use lots of follow through force dont fanny about tappin them.) as for the "DIY" paint-on sealant you have id take it back. it might last a few months if your lucky and know what your doin.

if i was you id get some black tarpolin and do i good job of making it wearther proof untill you can afford to get it sorted properly.

hope this helps

regards dave

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:02 am