Flue Plume Acceptance - Distance From Neighbouring Property
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nightjar
Apprentice
Apprentice

Flue Plume Acceptance - Distance From Neighbouring Property

Post by nightjar » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:27 pm

My old combi boiler has just been replaced with a new Ideal boiler. We qualified for this work to be done for free. We now have an issue now with our neighbours as the plume of white smoke comes out horizontally and goes straight towards their kitchen door or window. The distance from the outlet of our boiler to our fence /border is 1.5 meters and then it is a further 1.5 meters to their side door. The height of the outlet is about 2 meters. The neighbour is saying the outlet needs to be 2.5 meters from our boundary and the installers say it only need to be 0.6 meters. Can someone tell me which is correct please?

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Flue Plume Acceptance - Distance From Neighbouring Property

Post by proptech » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:00 pm

Hi nightjar
Take a look at the manual for your boiler, all the positions for flue termination should be there.
The flue must be at least 300 mm horizontally from any opening (window etc) I don't know where the 2.5 metres comes from, but that would make installation in most terrace properties impossible!
The only mention I can find of this in a manufacturers manual is "position where this could be a nuisance should be avoided" obviously open to some interpretation. It's not smoke by the way, it's steam.

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Flue Plume Acceptance - Distance From Neighbouring Property

Post by proptech » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:28 pm

Just to add to my previous post. I forgot to mention that if it comes to it, a plume management kit could probably be fitted. this would enable the flue to discharge at a higher level.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1