flue through roof - no ceiling hatch
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Neilone
Labourer
Labourer

flue through roof - no ceiling hatch

by Neilone » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:13 pm

The flue for my new boiler probably needs to go up through the roof. It is a single story extension with pitched roof. The heating firm who came to give a quote said it was a problem there being no access to the roof space, as there is no ceiling hatch. I'd have thought that he would need to remove a few tiles anyway and the roof space is too small to actually get in anyway. Does anyone know why a ceiling hatch would be required ?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:58 pm

How can they install the flue without accessing the loft space ? impossible.

Why is there no loft hatch ? concrete flat roof ?

htg

Neilone
Labourer
Labourer

by Neilone » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:16 pm

Its a small extension about 5 feet wide (single story) with a very shallow pitched tile roof. By that I mean the outside wall is 5 feet from the original wall.

There would not enough space for even a small child in the loft space. I agree a hatch would be a useful for inspecting the condition of the roof or for checking for any insulation etc.

The roof is quite low as it is a single story (and quite a low one) so I assumed that it first be required to remove a few tiles and work from above (or below to make a hole in the ceiling). Its probably a few inches of roof space between the top of the ceiling and roof at that point, as it close to the eaves on an outside wall. Its probably 3 feet from the top of the where the boiler will be to the roof tiles.

There is currently a flue on the outside wall at that point but too low for the proposed new boiler.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1