Found a cavity whilst drilling, how to fix heavy bling up?
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wizpip
Labourer
Labourer

Found a cavity whilst drilling, how to fix heavy bling up?

by wizpip » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:59 pm

Hello,

I have a long, heavy, blackout blind which was put up by a handman several months ago. This blind is held at the ends by metal brackets, each with two screws / rawlplugs. Recently, the top screw on both sides has become loose, making the blind feel a bit unstable.

I've just taken it down and removed the brackets. I've discovered that whilst the bottom screws went into brick, the top screws seem to have gone into a hollow cavity. Now, I don't believe this cavity is from plasterboard; spring toggles do not open inside. It's also very deep - I can push a whole HB pencil into the hole.

The house is a new build and I was around for its construction. From the photos, it looks like the area 'should' be cement with RSJs on the top (see attachment, blind is attached behind where shown, inside the bay).

The only thing I can think to do is pump the hole with polyfilla, wait a few days, re-drill and fix. Is there a better way?

Thanks!
Attachments
rsj.jpg

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Found a cavity whilst drilling, how to fix heavy bling up?

by welsh brickie » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:37 am

fill the hole with expanding foam and insert your umbrella fixing or redi drive fixing, wait 24hrs before hanging your blind

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:56 pm