FOUNDATION OF OLD STONE HOUSE
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
STEF
Labourer
Labourer

FOUNDATION OF OLD STONE HOUSE

by STEF » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:41 am

HI IAM RESTORING AN OLD STONE HOUSE HERE IN FRANCE AND WOULD LIKE TO ASK:::

THE FOOTINGS ARE SOLID LIMESTONE ROCKS, THE FOUNDATIONS ARE STONE ( WALLS), WHICH ARE PLACED ON THE ROCK FOOTINGS WITH MUD BETWEEN EACH STONE FOUNDATION (WALLS), THE FOOTINGS AND FLOOR IN THE INSIDE OF THE HOUSE ARE SOLID ROCK AND A WOODEN FLOOR WAS PLACED ON TOP OF THIS SOLID ROCK!!! I HAVE TAKEN AWAY THE OLD ROTTEN WOODEN FLOOR AND WANT TO REPOINT THE STONE WALLS UP TO THE TOP LEVEL OF THE CONCRETE SLAB FLOOR, AND THEN TILE!!!

WILL I NEED TO MAKE A NEW CONCRETE FOOTING IN THE INTERIOUR SIDE OF THE FOUNDATION (WALL) BEFORE I HARDCORE AND GRAVEL BEFORE THE SLAB FLOOR OR JUST SIMPLY JUST FILL WITH HARDCORE AND GRAVEL UP TO THE INTERIOUR SIDE OF THE FOUNDATION (WALL) AND THEN PLACE THE SLAB FLOOR ????? IAM RAISING THE LEVEL OF THE INTERIOUR FLOOR A GOOD 200MM SO THE EXTERIOUR GROUND LEVEL IS LOWER .

REGARDS ALEX.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:06 pm

Your house is going to be damp, as built it was designed to transfer the water in the ground into the air via the floor and walls.
Probably the place to start is to make a French drain all round the outside walls to move as much water from its vicinity ass possible. Run the drain away from the house somewhere down hill.
Then dig down to footing level and insert a concrete slab, brick up round the edge to almost floor level, spread a water proof membrane across the slab and up the walls, then lay another slab over the dpm and brick up round the edge, then build a wooden floor complete with at least five inches of closed cell insulation. This will give you a warm dry floor to help ofset the cold damp walls.

STEF
Labourer
Labourer

by STEF » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:37 pm

THANKS FOR THAT!!!!

BUT THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT I HAVE ONLY A TOTAL OF 200MM FROM THE FOOTING TO TOTAL FLOOR LEVEL SO NO ROOM FOR THE 5 INCHES OF INSULATION. AND WANT TO LAY FLOOR TILES NOT WOOD.

SO WAS THINKING IF I BUILD A CONCRETE FOUNDATION ONTOP OF MY SOLID ROCK FOOTING OF SAY 50CM WIDE X 10CM THICK UP TO THE INTERIOUR SIDE OF THE STONE WALLS THEN FILL THE REST OF THE FLOOR SPACE WITH HARDCORE TOPED WITH SAND UP TO THE SAME HEIGHT LEVEL OF THE NEW 10CM THICK CONCRETE FOUNDATION, THEN LAY THE WATER PROOF MEMBRANE OVER THE WHOLE SURFACE AND UP THE STONE WALLS, THEN LAY MY CONCRETE SLAB OVER THIS, SO THEN CAN FLOOR TILE THIS SURFACE.

I WILL REPOINT THE INTERIOUR OF THE STONE WALLS FROM THE FOOTINGS TO THE FLOOR LEVEL BEFORE STARTING ANY GROUND WORK..

WHAT DO YOU THICK TO THIS IDEA, WILL IT BE OK??

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm