Front Door or Frame Expansion and New Lock
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

Makersmark
Labourer
Labourer

Front Door or Frame Expansion and New Lock

by Makersmark » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:44 am

I need some advice regarding our front door - it's an oversize wooden door on a Victorian house, so quite large and heavy. During previous summers, the expansion/movement of the door/frame has led to the latch on the Yale lock not entering the hole on the 'keep' (vertical movement being the issue). Originally, we had a London security bar fitted but had to remove it, so we could move the 'keep' enough for the latch to enter the hole.
I also filed the hole on the keep, so much so that last year we didn't have any issues.
However, this year, the movement has occurred again, so I've needed to move the keep again - as you can imagine, the wood around the keep is now not in the best condition, so I'm looking for a more permanent solution - this has also been made more pressing, as the Yale I have needs replacing (the 'stay open' button or snick has failed).
This is the style of lock I have: http://www.screwfix.com/p/yale-traditional-night-latch-chrome-plated-60mm-backset/78737
To add another issue in, I have a new London security bar to fit as well - obviously I'd like to fit the new lock and keep, and the new security bar, fill and paint and make all look new... my concern is that I'll do all this and the movement will occur again.
Has anyone had experience of this before? Is there anything I can do to the door to try and prevent the vertical movement of the latch? I don't quite understand why the kind of movement is occurring, even if I understand that humidity/heat can cause movement.
Look forward to some helpful replies!

It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:57 pm