Front UPVC Door warping when sun shines on it.
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
NorrieSmall
Labourer
Labourer

Front UPVC Door warping when sun shines on it.

by NorrieSmall » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:22 pm

Hi, whenever the sun shines on my new UPVC Front door, we find it hard to open and close the door because of warping. is this usual for these doors. when the sun stops shining then we can open and close it as normal.
Door is still under 1 year old.

Freeman
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Freeman » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:34 pm

No it's not usual, the door has not been fitted correctly.

I'd guess that either the frame has been fixed out of square or the centre panel either glass or plastic has not been packed correctly and the door is out of square.

Draw a line with a pencil along the top edge of the door on to the frame, open the door, is the line parallel to the top edge of the frame?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

door warping

by welsh brickie » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:59 am

doors do warp when the sun shines on it.
Your door I assume is woodgrain, these doors are the worst for expansion,But with the right ajustment will work just fine.
you will see 3 hinges, on each hinge will be a small plastic cap.
Remove the cap and insert a allen key size 6,or this may vary in size.
slowly turn the allen key and adjust the door,
Do this when the sun is fully on the door and shut.Keep checking untill the door is free.

a6windows
Apprentice
Apprentice

by a6windows » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:06 am

you could try drilling a 10mm hole in the top of the door sash this stops the air trapped in the sash heating up and allows it instaed to escape.as said before its not uncommon for woodgrain doors to expand especially if there south facing

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am