fruit tree management
Post your questions and find answers on all garden related topics and areas

Nearlyman
Tradesman
Tradesman

fruit tree management

by Nearlyman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:19 pm

One of our two apple trees, both now around six years old, is very unattractive due to its gangling "all over the show" appearance. It stands only 10 Ft tall has some four lower and roughly horizontal branches, staggered around the tree between 1 Ft and 2 Ft off the ground. The main trunk - girth about five inches - divides at a little under 3 Ft from the ground into two slimmer, 'verticals' forming a slender 'Y' shape to the full height of the tree. The tree in spite of being tied to a substantial stake has a distinct curvature, which has not responded to being tied to the stake and stubbornly retains its curved appearance. Frankly, it's a mess; looking more like a demented Praying Mantis than a neat, orchard garden, plant. I am thinking of discarding it, but it is bearing a magnificent crop of apples for the first time ever and, for the time being, I have relented. Is there, perhaps, an effective way of turning this "Ugly Duckling" into a handsome tree - before I meet my maker? I am now 73 ..............and the clock is ticking! :)

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:26 am