Fused Spur to LCD?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pjames.79
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fused Spur to LCD?

Post by pjames.79 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:47 pm

Hi, Im just wondering if something might be possible...

Ive got an LCD in the living room and Id like to know about putting it on the wall and hiding the wires.

What I would like to do is run a spur from a nearby plug socket using 2.5 to a fused switch, then connect the flex from the tv onto this fused switch with the cable for the LCD running behind the wall, so the LCD will be on the wall, the switch will be on a fused switch on the face of the wall.
The Scart feeds etc will run behind the wall too..
So my questions are:
1) Is this something I can do or does it need signing off (Im not a spark)
2) Is it safe to have the LCD connected permanently (even though its on a fused switch that Id turn off at night)
3) can I run the power cable from the LCD (supplied with the LCD) into the back of the fused switch or would I need to replace it with 2.5?

Like I say, Im not a sparky if this doesnt make sense I apologise!
Thanks Paul.

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:40 pm

Power and commutations cables don’t mix very well. The SCART cable would need to be rated for mains voltage if they are to run together. Part P says you can add a spur to an existing ring main, but it should still be tested, and paperwork completed. The fuse in the spur allows you to use smaller cable to TV. But I would be looking at a proper unit and a 13A socket. A standard or modular outlet like those done by Labgear will look the part. You will still have a switch on 13 amp socket and far easier to plug in than fiddle behind the set wiring into a fused spur. I had considered putting my TV on the wall but by time I have Sky, DVD recorder, DVD Player/Radio, VCR, Laptop, radio link headphones, it’s a whole mass of wires and I settled to using old TV unit so I can hide all the wires.

pjames.79
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by pjames.79 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:25 pm

Thank you for this.. think its back to plan A and a TV stand as you say!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:54 pm