Gaps between plasterboard
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Boothy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Gaps between plasterboard

by Boothy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi there, I am renovating a barn and I am just putting up the plasterboard. I friend of mine did most of the upstairs for me but not really the good job I would have done. There are gaps between the ceiling and the walls on some sheets, not many. My question is, where this is the case I thought about using dot and dab adhesive to fill these areas as it sets really hard and will not crack, then putting some mesh tap over it, which also supports the ceiling to. The gaps to be fair are not that big max about 8mm. Most new builds are thrown up so they get away with the least amount of work materials possible. I want to pay more for a better job in the end.

I also have another questions, one full size piece of plasterboard has become damaged a round area the size of a cup base where the plaster is damaged and the paper is holding it on. Would you say the best thing to do is replace the whole sheet?

I really don’t want any cracks after plastering, whets the best way to avoid cracking, I know about staggering the joints, anything else?

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:17 am

if the biggest gap is 8mm then the method you describe should be fine. most important component is the mesh tape.

and for the circular hole damage the usual technique is to remove a section of the plasterboard back to the joist on both sides so you have points at which to fix.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:33 am