Garage conversion floor insulation
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
juliangall
Labourer
Labourer

Garage conversion floor insulation

by juliangall » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:28 am

Everything I read implies you would always want to insulate the floor when converting an internal garage to a room. My 50's bungalow has a garage where the floor is level with the house floor (the exterior garage walls are also cavity walls). It seems highly likely that it was made as a single slab, so its insulation is no better or worse than the rest of the house.

I do not want to put insulation on top of the garage floor and have a step up into the new room. That would make the ceiling low and would make fitting the door difficult. Never mind the trip hazard from a step. I also don't want to dig out the floor and put in a new insulated floor, when all that would do is give 15% of the house better floor insulation.

Do Building Regulations mandate that I have to insulate the floor, even though it would be pointless?

Thanks.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Garage conversion floor insulation

by welsh brickie » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:44 pm

unfortunately yes

juliangall
Labourer
Labourer

by juliangall » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:37 pm

I thought that might be the case. Is it a big job to dig out a floor to put insulation underneath? Not a pleasant job, I'm sure, but is it just a case of angle grinding round the edge and breaking up the middle?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:32 am

have a word with your local building control officer first, they are really helpful and might thing of something I havent

juliangall
Labourer
Labourer

by juliangall » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:04 am

Good idea. I'll do that.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1