Garage conversion - recommendations?
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JLC280667
Labourer
Labourer

Garage conversion - recommendations?

by JLC280667 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:06 am

Hi

Just moved into a new house which has a large free-standing garage. We're thinking it might work well converted into a home office or workspace.

Can anyone recommend a good company for garage conversions? We're in south London/Kent.

Also, where would I go to get advice about planning permission etc - is there a useful webpage with this info?

Thanks
John

paulbalrow
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Garage conversion - recommendations?

by paulbalrow » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:16 pm

Hi John,

It really depends on how far away your garage is from the main house. You shouldn't need planning permission but will need to satisfy Local Authority Building Regulations. This is a fairly simple process and involves a small fee as well as inspections from the District LA surveyor. The main things being that it is adequately insulated, is not used as an additional bedroom (unless attached to the house) and all methods used to convert the garage do not affect the structural integrity of the garage itself.

If you are unsure please contact me and I can advise you further and provide a quotation if you need.

Regards. Paul

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:55 am