Garden Abutting Damp Garage and a Remedy Needed for Fix
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

Reddy
Labourer
Labourer

Garden Abutting Damp Garage and a Remedy Needed for Fix

by Reddy » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:07 pm

Hi, I'm looking for your help.

We have a detached single skin garage.

The right side is joined onto our neighbours garage which is set lower, so their roof abuts our garage wall about half way up. The back of the garage has our patio abutting it, again about half way up, the left hand side has steps running up the side of it to the patio. So simply put, there is a lot of damp soil beneath the patio and steps permanently abutting our garage, particularly the back and left side wall.

This is causing issues as anything we put in there goes rusty over a period of time.

Ideally I would dig out the patio and steps and place an effective damp proof barrier on the outside of the bricks. Unfortunately this is not an option.

So I would like to somehow damp proof the garage from the inside. Thinking maybe an internal skin with membranes and a cavity? Can anyone recommend any specific products that i should be looking at and any pit falls I may face? Particularly concerned how the internal skin would abut the roof joists and if the membrane would need to be continued along the ceiling to stop the damp air penetrating?

Many thanks

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:21 pm