garden tap fitting upside down

Postby rosswd » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:07 pm

Hi

Have just replaced my garden tap only to find that the thread only seems to work with tap upside down. I dont want to overtighten and at 12 oclock the joint drips slightly. Do I have to replace more bits or use a washer ? any ideas.
rosswd
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby DUDE DIY » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:44 pm

Hi

Have just replaced my garden tap only to find that the thread only seems to work with tap upside down. I dont want to overtighten and at 12 oclock the joint drips slightly. Do I have to replace more bits or use a washer ? any ideas.

It seems your in a right pickle? Are you using plumbers tape to seal your joint? this would stop the tap leaking at the joints. Hope this helps???
DUDE DIY
Progress to next rank:
43.3%

Postby htg engineer » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:59 am

PTFE tape wrapped around the Male part of the tap - in the direction of the threads, should solve this problem.

If you tighten the tap in by hand so it's vertical, then one revolution with some grips or spanner, should be enough to make a water tight seal.

You sometimes get the same problem with the gas bayonet and Wingback Elbow fittings, especially with the cheaper fittings.
htg engineer

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!