GAS BOILERS VERSUS ELECTRIC BOILERS
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tayn27
Labourer
Labourer

GAS BOILERS VERSUS ELECTRIC BOILERS

by tayn27 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:42 pm

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me if having an electric boiler for central heating and hot water is really that much more expensive (or not) than a gas combi boiler? Does it really use a lot of electricity?

I've got a 1-bedroom flat (3 radiators and a towel rail) and, for various reasons, am having to consider electric heating over gas. I've been told that it's not expensive to run in smaller properties. Is this true, and does anyone have any advice they could give on pros/cons?

Also, does £4,100 seem excessive for installation of an unvented system?

Thanks,
Martin

wishiwascorgi
Tradesman
Tradesman

by wishiwascorgi » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:58 pm

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/1718-16938

This should be sufficent to run your flat. Just ask the company that quoted you the price and get them to break down the estimate. If you measure the size of the radiators and tell your local supplier they will tell you the btu size you would need the boiler to output. As for expense you would have to work out how much the unit would use per hour to find out just how much it would cost and if it would be cheaper to run the gas or the electric version.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

GAS BOILERS VERSUS ELECTRIC

by Perry525 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:41 pm

I would think that someone has sold you the idea of an unvented system,
and is looking to make a lot of money?
An electric heating system is by its nature very simple. It doesn't have the requirements or problems of a gas or oil central heating or mains pressure hot water delivery system. It is also much cheaper to install.
Why not spend some time looking on the web. An electric system where the everything is within the one living space and all heat loss goes towards keeping the place warm is very popular.
The electricity industry sold the idea of atomic power stations to the late Prime Minister on the basis that, in time all heating will need to be electric.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1