Gas fire service and carbon monoxide near death experience


Postby lisataylor24 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:56 pm

I live alone with my 2 young children aged 2 and 5 in Birmingham, we have a living flame gas fire a boiler and gas cooker. I had noticed the gas fire was getting a funny smell from it and an unusual yellow flame which seemed to be kind of orange after a while.
I became concerned as afer a few hours of running the fire I would have headaches and start feeling really sleepy for no reason. I wouldn't mind if i had had a few wines but i had not.
I left it for ages when i was telling my friend at work who told me my fire could be faulty.
I was worried about the cost of calling a Gas man to fix it or check it out but eventually decided it had to be done. I called Gas safe register who gave me the number of my local gas engineer who called out the same day and checked my fire. He quickly found the fire was not not safe when he done a test with a smoke match and some kind of computer gas machine. I was relieved after he told me how lucky i was as the fumes fro the fire were apparently coming into the living room where we were sitting!!! He told me the readings were dangerous and would of given me headaches nausea [i think thats how u spell it] and if i would of passed out there was a risk of death. Im grateful for my friend at work pushing me into getting the fire done and for Gas safe giving me a number of a competent engineer who only charged me £50 to take the fire out and clean all the debris out and do another safety check on completion. I normally always moan about bad experiences but this time i'm going to thank my friend and the Friendly honest engineer and recommend him. I got his no from Gas safe and its 08006126796. I'd say if anyone has a fire and it's dodgy like mine was I would get it fixed ASAP and dont wait. This engineer only covers Birmingham so i'm not sure he will travel far.
Well i feel my life was spared so I'm going to shout about it as much as i can in the hope someone elses can be too.

Lisa
lisataylor24
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:49 pm

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby htg engineer » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:20 pm

Thanks for that Lisa, coming from a 'member of the public' that has experienced mild effects of carbon monoxide poisoning, might make people think about their own gas appliances. Because if we (in the trade) recommend it..... people assume we're just after the money.

That's why Annual Gas Services are ESSENTIAL. You tend to find homeowners don't bother (if it's not broke... approach).

Landlords have to have the annual gas service carried out by law - they should make it a legal requirement for every house - you should have to provide the certificate to be able to take out house/contents insurance.

Has this experience changed your views ? will you have you appliances checked/serviced regularly ?

did you bother before ?


htg
htg engineer
Posts: 3193
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:22 pm


Postby lisataylor24 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:04 am

I would have it done again in 12 months as I dont put a value on life as its too expensive. I don't think the authorities are letting people know how dangerous this Carbon dioxide or CO is or i'm that blonde i'm missing the ads.
The engineer strongly recommended I had an air brick fitted in the same room but I moaned about how cold it would be, I suppose I should start listening. It's my house so no landlords involved.

Lisa
lisataylor24
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:49 pm


Postby htg engineer » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:32 pm

Like I say, landlords have to have the annual gas service carried out by law. If you see adverts they always mention landlords and gas checks.

But it's people like yourself in private properties, that tend not to bother - and this is where they need to raise awareness, like I said I think it should be compulsory.

As for the ventilation - I don't know why he would recommend it ?
It's made clear which appliances MUST have ventilation and which one's don't need ventilation. if you'rs needs ventilation - get it installed, it's for your safety.


htg
htg engineer
Posts: 3193
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:22 pm


Postby wabbits » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:03 pm

This certainly makes me sit up and listen.

I don;'t have a gas fire, but have a boiler in the garage.

I just get confused when they say get it serviced...is that the same as a check?

My friend said it only took 10 mins to do her gas boiler, surely that can't be right for nearly £60....there must be a set standard/ or check sheet..am I right?

My father has an oil boiler and he got a full service report and analysis print out. Guy was there about an hour and a half cleaning/checking it

Cheers

Chris
wabbits
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:56 pm


Postby Steve the gas » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:23 am

Oil boilers are little more involved - take more cleaning etc. However, 10 mins is too quick- I have a cuppa too.
Seriously they should follow the MIs to carry out a service.
Steve the gas
Posts: 780
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 7:07 am


Postby htg engineer » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:35 pm

An Annual Gas Service is where the applinance is thoroughly examined and cleaned (where necessary) to ensure safe operation.

A check could be anything, you might get it checked if you think something is not right, but you wont get a certificate.

The time spent varies on different appliances, on back boilers and fires it may take up to an hour, to dismantle, clean, carry out tests and re-assemble. For a combi, if using a flue gas analysis - it wont take anywhere near that long.

Find the manufacturers instructions for your boiler, it will give a gas service shedule that should be followed - give this to the RGI, when they arrive.

htg
htg engineer
Posts: 3193
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:22 pm


Postby wabbits » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:38 pm

Thanks for that information. Will get it serviced in the next couple of months.

Should I expect a service report and flue analysis?

Would be good if I ever sold my house....it shows I have been looking after stuff on a yearly basis.
wabbits
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:56 pm


Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


 


  • Related Topics