Glueing baton to support plaster board over concrete ceiling
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rinkerdink
Apprentice
Apprentice

Glueing baton to support plaster board over concrete ceiling

Post by Rinkerdink » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:05 pm

Hi,

I have a 1990's built flat which has a preformed concrete slab ceiling and floor. It is a studio but I am turing it into a 1 bed by opening up the kithen into the lounge area and partitioning a bedroom space off. Due to the nature of the construction chasing the ceiling to redirect lighting cabling is a non starter on the grounds of weakening the structure. I had origionally planned to try and find the tublular voids in the slabs and run cabling through these and the stud walls but have written this idea off in favour of creating a small ceiling void to run cables through - 1" with 9mm board over the top if possible.

I am concerned about puncturing the ceiling slab to much and weaking the structure so would like to know if glueing baton on to the ceiling with some kind of chemical fix is a viable alternative to drilling and fixing or obo nailing (this is how they seem to have supported existing partitions) baton on to support the covering board. I don't have to run in any new cabling, just extend and reposition what is already there so I am very lucky in this respect, just don't know if my current idea will work.

Advice is greatly appreciated

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:32 am

Hi,
if this was a project I was doing, firstly I would put timber joists alway around edge of ceiling fixing firmly in to wall and ceiling using raw/coach bolts.
then fixing across these, batons/struts and nogins to this.I would also drill plug and fix batons to ceiling every foot and if you desire use adhesive as well.
The thing is that once you start boarding and plastering the ceiling, this will put weight on to this structure so it needs to be fixed good and solid to ceiling. This can also be done in metal stud but not really a DIY job.
Regards
KB

zider
Labourer
Labourer

Post by zider » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:28 pm

have a simular job to do myself..great idea with the wall plates but i would be a little worried to drill in to the ceiling just in case there may be pipe work or cable sunk in the floor.do you think fixing the timber across with joist hangers and noggins and maybe with some strong adhesive would be stable enough to hold plaster/b and skim ? cheers

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:09 am

it's a valid idea, again it depends on the size/area of the ceiling, if the area was above 4 or 5m sq i'd be wanting some support in the middle of the ceiling.
KB

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:56 pm